The Sarasota County Democratic Jewish Caucus (SCDJC) is the first local group to address the concerns of Jewish Democrats at a grass-roots level.
Data from our local Jewish Federation reveal that the Sarasota-Manatee area boasts a Jewish population of approximately 25,000. Characteristically, 70% of Jews vote Democratic. Our hope is that the SCDJC will increase that percentage. It is a mitzvah for Jews to vote according to our cherished ideals.
Here are the goals of the Sarasota County Democratic Jewish Caucus.
The SCDJC will:
- Promote Jewish voices within Sarasota's Democratic Party
- Provide a forum in which Jewish voters in our area can discuss critical issues with elected officials and candidates
- Stress Jewish values that concur with Democratic principles and policies
- Support the election of Democratic candidates whose values are consistent with ours
- Combat anti-Semitism in our community
- Support Israel and work for peace in the Middle East
- Work to improve the lives of Sarasota County residents
- Support interfaith relationships to foster understanding and tolerance
- Serve as a resource for information relating to Judaism and the Democratic Party.